Monday, October 1, 2007

Cowboys Story

After reading the Dallas Cowboys story, I feel like my questions in previous blogs have been concerned. I am upset with the way the team handled the incident and if I were McIver I would have been truly upset. How can this be utilitarianism at work, when you have an individual who's life could have been ended? I understand the non-moral decisions and angle that the team took to protect Michael Irvin, but to me no stake holder's interest is more important than the lives of employees. I think that the way the team should have handled it should have been to suspend the players involved for more than one game, and to do a little bit more to inform the media and make them feel adequately informed than having to dig information outside of an organization to report a story. Either way it went reporters were going to do their jobs and report on what they could find, and anytime an organization is uncooperative it makes their public feel shut out and like they are not important to the organization. In this instance if I were Jerry Jones, which obviously I'm not, I would have worked with the media and been more forthcoming with some information. I used to want to work for the Cowboys but I have learned a great deal from working with professional sports figures. No organization should have the
"no comment" policy as the first and only media weapon in their arsenal, it doesn't serve well to include or display a positive image for the public.

No comments: